Friday, September 30, 2011

Health and Fitness

So I really like Jessie, I honestly do (I've never liked someone this much whose paradigm differs so wildly from my own), but sometimes people with her views about health and fitness drive me crazy.

I am overweight (I've never been comfortable with calling myself fat, but yes, I am fat).  With my genes, I'm honestly not that surprised.  I played national caliber volleyball and select soccer through high school, which helped a ton, but as soon as I stopped playing I gained a lot of weight.  I've never been particularly comfortable with it, but throughout college I was so busy with classes and productions and work that I rarely had even fifteen minutes to spare, let alone enough time to actually go to the gym and work out (you can scoff, but honestly with being in the theatre five hours a day, in classes an average of five hours a day, and holding two jobs I honestly didn't have time).

Now that I'm out of college and only working a job at night I have a lot more time on my hands, so I've taken to going out and running.  It feels good, but damn I'm sore afterward.

Anyway, I digress, what bothers me about Jess and many other people I know (particularly my boyfriend's dad and his dad's girlfriend in particular) is that people who are in shape and as thin as a rail is how superior they are about it.  They probably don't realize but they so often talk about working out is the only worthwhile thing in the entire wold.  I hate conversations that go like this"

Health Enthusiast: "Man, I just climbed a mountain and I feel great."
Me: "That's really cool.  Good for you."
Health Enthusiast: "How was sitting on the couch all day? Did you actually get anything done?"

The derision in their voice is just so frustrating!  (I desperately wish that conversation was hyperbole and not an actual conversation I've had).  Yes, I did sit on the couch all day, but in that time I've made twenty props, done two hours of paperwork, and written a chapter of my story.  Is not all of what I did worthwhile?  And, if I had sat on the couch watching movies the entire day, why is that any less valid?  It's not like all I do is sit on the couch and watch movies every day.

I want to lose weight.  I want to feel better about my self image (stupid media).  I do not need other people's condescension.  If you want to help me get and shape, then come running with more and don't laugh when I can't go as far or as fast as you.  Your lifestyle is perfectly valid, but so is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment