Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Ambition

I am currently looking for a second job since my show only rehearses at night.  In the course of filling out a bunch of job applications (oh I miss jobs where you can just send a resume and cover letter) I ran into many applications that asked about ambition in the personal questionnaire section.  All of the questions were things like: "Will you always strive to reach the top level of any job that you're in?"

My answer was honestly: No (and something most be working somehow because I'm getting all sorts of interviews).  I don't want to be a manager or whatever at any job I'm working.  Does that mean I'm not going to work my hardest?  Absolutely not, it just means that's not where my ambitions lie.

I'm hard working, mainly because I'm not sure I know how to slack off, and ambition only helps with my work ethic.  For a long time I thought I didn't have ambition at all.  I didn't want to be a CEO or rich or even a Broadway stage manager.  I realized recently that my ambitions just lie in a very different direction: I want to stage manage at a children's theatre.  This is very specific, but I loved seeing theatre growing up and I want to be that person who helps make a difference (even if they don't realize it) in kids' lives.

But I will still answer: Am I an ambitious person?  Not really, I just want to live a comfortable life doing what I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment